10 Discontinued And Mostly Forgotten McDonald’s Menu Items
December 4, 2014
1. Big 33 or McJordan Special
Year it was introduced: 1992
What was it: Both burgers were the same; it was basically a Quarter Pounder – with bacon and special barbecue sauce named after either Larry Bird or Michael Jordan.
Recently a 20-year-old bottle of McJordan BBQ sauce was sold on eBay to anonymous buyer in Chicago for $9,995.
Big 33 commercial with Larry Bird:
2. Onion Nuggets
Year it was introduced: Mid-‘70s (in select test markets)
What was it: Chopped onions shaped into small solid pieces, dipped in batter and deep-fried. Apparently, before stumbling onto the idea of making chicken nuggets, they thought onions would make better nuggets.
3. Chicken Fajitas
Year it was introduced: 1991
What was it: A chicken fajita wrap, with a packet of sauce. Although, I don’t know if I would trust buying Mexican food from McDonald’s.
Chicken Fajita & Breakfast Burrito commercials:
Year it was introduced: 1989
What was it: McDonald’s attempt at entering the pizza market. It started off in a few select markets, before growing to over 500 locations. Eventually the McPizza was discontinued all together due to the amount of time it took to cook.
5. Arch Deluxe
Year it was introduced: 1996
What was it: A more “gourmet style” hamburger marketed towards adults. The ingredients were a quarter pound of beef, on a potato flour bun, topped with bacon, leaf lettuce, tomato, American cheese, onions, ketchup, “secret” mustard and mayonnaise sauce.
Despite the massive and expensive marketing campaign it was a major flop.
Arch Deluxe commercial featuring Jessica Biel:
6. McSalad Shakers
Year it was introduced: 2000
What was it: An entire salad shoved into what appears to be a Frappuccino cup? The McSalad Shakers were only around for a short time and were replaced by their Premium Salads in 2003.
7. McLean Deluxe
Year it was introduced: 1991
What was it: It was a healthy reduced fat hamburger created to appease critics and appeal to health conscious customers.
According How Stuff Works in order make the meat lean they used seaweed:
“To make the burger so low-fat, the company replaced the fat content with water. The recipe called for carrageenan — a seaweed extract — to bind the water to the beef. Beef made up only 90 percent of the patty, and water and carrageenan made up the remaining 10 percent. Despite the addition of “natural” beef flavor additives, the result was a dry failure of a burger that was later called ‘the McFlopper’.”
McLean Deluxe commercial:
8. Triple-Double Burger
Year it was introduced: 1995
What was it: A burger that was made up of three beef patties and two slices of cheese, served on the sesame seed roll. It was originally created and marketed as promotional tie-in for the film Batman Forever.
Triple-Double Burger Batman Forever commercial:
9. Cheddar Melt
Year it was introduced: 1988
What was it: The Cheddar Melt was basically a Quarter Pounder that was topped with onions (sauteed in butter and teriyaki), then topped with cheddar cheese sauce, it was also offered a few times in ‘90s, and most recently in 2004.
Cheddar Melt commercial:
Year it was introduced: 1984
What was it: The McDLT, which stood McDonald’s Lettuce and Tomato was a burger sold in a specially designed two-sided Styrofoam container. The meat and bottom half of the bun were placed separately from the lettuce, tomato, American cheese, pickles, sauces, and top half of the bun. Customers then combined the hot and cool sides.
It was discontinued in January 1991 due to environmental concerns with the Styrofoam container.